E.) from Burris-o-leagh, on the road from Nenagh to Cashel; containing 1928 inhabitants. It comprises 4432 statute acres, exclusively of bog and waste, and is mostly under tillage. The principal seats are Inch House, that of G. Ryan, Esq., and Dovea Lodge, of J.
Trant, Esq., both handsome residences situated in fine demesnes. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Clogher; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde, in trust for the Ormonde poor-house at Kilkenny: the tithes amount to £300 of which £140 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Drom and Inch, and contains a neat chapel, built in 1806. About 250 children are educated in three private schools. There arc some remains of the old church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inch to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0584962972 (Lat/Lon: 52.718207, -7.91418), Inch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)