The principal seats are Marlfield, the residence of J. Bagwell, Esq., a large and elegant mansion in an extensive and well-wooded demesne, through which the river Suir flows; Oakland, also the property of Mr.
Bagwell; Salisbury, the residence of T. Sadleir, Esq.; and Bird Hill, of - Taylor, Esq. Fine granite is obtained in the Waterford part of the parish, and limestone in the Tipperary part. At Marlfield is a distillery, and a fair is held in October at Tubberhaney.
The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united in 1815 to the rectory of Monksland, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £576. 19. 3½., and of the entire benefice to £688. 19. 3½.
There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. The church, which was rebuilt by the present incumbent in 1818, by aid of a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits, is on the site of the ancient abbey, part of which is incorporated in the present building; and the old churchyard remains. The parochial school is supported by the rector, and a female school is kept by the ladies of the Presentation convent, in which about 640 chil- dren are educated; there are also three private schools, in which are about 100 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Inishlounaght to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S1502324764 (Lat/Lon: 52.374683, -7.780141), Inishlounaght which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)