The principal seats are Bird Hill, the residence of S. H. Atkins, Esq.; Cragg, of R. Going, Esq.; Parteen, of R. Twiss, Esq.; and Corrigeen, of G. Maunsell, Esq. Direct communication is afforded by the canal to Dublin, and numerous rivulets issuing from the mountains intersect the parish. A constabulary police force is stationed here. The parish is in the diocese of Cashel, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Kilnerath, or St. John's, Newport: the tithes amount to £323. L. 6½. In the R. C. divisions also it is included in the union or district of Kilnerath, or Ballinahinch; the chapel is at Bird Hill, at which place a school is about to be established, and there are four private schools, in which are about 340 children.
At Cragg are the ruins of an ancient church and castle; and there are some Danish raths used as places of interment.
Philip of Worcester, chief governor of Ireland in 1184, founded here a priory, which he dedicated to St. Philip, St. James, and St. Cumin, and placed in it Benedictine monks from the abbey of Glastonbury, in Somersetshire.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcomenty to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7132366382 (Lat/Lon: 52.748113, -8.425395), Kilcomenty which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)