Barker's estate. Kilcooly Abbey, the residence of Mr.
Barker, stands in a well-planted demesne of above 1600 statute acres. On its eastern verge is a tower built to commemorate the battle of Waterloo, which, being on a high hill, serves as an excellent landmark.
On the hills is a colony of Palatines, brought from the county of Limerick, about 60 years since, by the late Sir W. Barker, Bart. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £507. 13. 10½. The church is a handsome modern structure. There is a glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818, gave £350 and lent £450: the glebe comprises 22 acres, for which £42. 12. per annum late currency is paid by the rector. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district of Gurtnahoe, or Fennor, and has a chapel at New Birmingham. There is also a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists. About 280 children are educated in two public schools, to one of which Mr. and Lady Harriet Barker subscribe £20 per annum. There are some ruins of the castle of Grange.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcooly to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S2719855323 (Lat/Lon: 52.64882, -7.598881), Kilcooly which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)