It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, forming part of the union of Kilcash: the rectory is impropriate in Viscount Lismore: the tithes amount to £102. 9. 2., of which £66.12. 3. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar. The church is a modem building. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgrant. About 210 children are educated in two public schools, one of which is supported by Lady Osborne, and about 20 in a private school. At Gurteen are some druidical remains; and in the Waterford part of the parish are the ivy-clad ruins of Darinlar castle, of which only the keep and some vaults remain.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killaloan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S2559323766 (Lat/Lon: 52.365328, -7.625027), Killaloan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)