KILMASTULLA, a parish, in the barony of OWNEY and AREA, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Killaloe, on the road from Limerick to Dublin; containing 2834 inhabitants. The land is mountainous, but is chiefly under tillage; there is some bog and plenty of grit-stone. The principal seats are Craunagh House, the property of C. Going, Esq.; Bushfield, the residence of J. Philips, Esq.; Prospect, of Nathaniel Burton, Esq.; and Craunagh Mills, in the occupation of Mr. J. O'Gorman. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, united by act of council, in 1790, to the rectory and vicarage of Templeichally or Templekelly, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £318. 9. 2¾., and of the benefice to £724. 12. 3¾. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises la. Or. 31p., and there is another of 3r. 36p. at Templeichally. The church is a plain building, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £500 in 1791. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballina, and has a very neat chapel at Boher. There are three private schools, in which about 160 children are educated, and a Sunday school.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.