A. corn-mill and a tuck-mill have been erected on the river Clare, near Newport. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Kilnerath, or St. John's, Newport; the tithes amount to £461. 10. 10. The church, towards the repair of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £530, is a neat edifice, situated at Newport. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Newport, in which town is the chapel. The parochial school, in which about 120 children are taught, is endowed with 20 acres of land and is aided by subscriptions; and there are six private schools, in which are about 260 children. There are some remains of the ancient parochial church at Ballymakeogh; the cemetery is still used as a burial-ground.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilvellane to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7507562216 (Lat/Lon: 52.710865, -8.36952), Kilvellane which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)