KILVEMNON, or KILMANANIFF, a parish, in the barony of SLIEVARDAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Callan, on the road to Fethard; containing 4530 inhabitants. It comprises about 8100 statute acres, exclusively of about 1600 of bog; and includes within its limits part of the lofty mountain of Slieve-na-Man. About four-fifths of the land are arable, the remainder pasture; it is moderately productive, but in many parts is low and wet; the surface is ornamented with some plantations and hedgerows. The river Anner has a subterraneous course for about a quarter of a mile, and works the Compsey Mill. The principal seats are Killaghy Castle, the residence of J. Despard, Esq., which was the residence of Baron Tobin, and was taken by Cromwell, who gave it to a Col. Green, from whom it has descended to its present proprietor; Gurteen, of the Rev. W. O'Brien; the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. Labarte; and Ballylanigan, the property of the Cramer family. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the gift of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £675. 6. 6½. There is a glebehouse; with a glebe of 6 acres. The church is a plain structure. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is called Mullinahone, where there is a chapel. There are five private schools, in which about 330 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
- 1901 Census of Kilvemnon Civil Parish - Includes Mullinahone Town. Part of Ireland Genealogical Project's Tipperary Site.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilvemnon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S3441537707 (Lat/Lon: 52.490121, -7.494084), Kilvemnon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)