Herbert. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, episcopally united in 1803 to the rectory of Doggstown, and in the patronage of the Marquess of Ormonde; the tithes amount to £710. 15. 4., and of the entire benefice to £738. 8. 2. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 60 acres; the church is a neat edifice. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called New Inn, comprising this parish and Doggstown, in each of which is a chapel. The parochial school-house, with an acre of land, was given by the late rector; and at Rockwell is a national school, aided by W. Roe, Esq.: these schools afford instruction to about 100 children, and there are five private schools, in which are about 400 children. At Poolmucka is a dispensary. The moat of Knockgraffon covers a very considerable area, and from its great elevation forms a conspicuous object: contiguous are the ruins of the old church and of a castle; and a town or considerable village is supposed to have existed here formerly.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Knockgraffon to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0833431063 (Lat/Lon: 52.431434, -7.878211), Knockgraffon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)