LISRONAGH, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA-EAST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (N.) from Clonmel, on the road to Fethard; containing 981 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Anner, and comprises 2807 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Quarries of limestone are worked chiefly for agricultural purposes and repairing roads, but from one of them large blocks are raised for building. Here is Kilmore, the old residence of the Bagwell family, now in a dilapidated state; the estate and the greater part of the parish are the property of John Bagwell, Esq., of Gleneonner. Lisronagh is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £230. 15. 4. There is no glebe-house, but there is a glebe of 15¾ acres. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits lent £750, is a neat edifice, completed in 1832. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilgrant, or Powerstown, and contains a chapel. In the parochial school, supported by subscription, about 30 children are educated; and there is a school of about 250 children under the superintendence of the parish priest.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.