The tithes amount to £350, of which £232. 6. 8. is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. The glebe-house is a handsome building, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £400, and lent £200, in 1829. The erection of the church, which is a neat modern edifice, was aided by a gift of £300 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Birr, or Parsonstown, and has a chapel at Carrig. A school of about 50 children is supported by the proprietor of the estate, and there are three private schools containing about 100 children. At Glahaskeen are the ivied ruins of an old castle, and at Castletown are those of another; there are also some remains of the old church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Loughkeen to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N0126301393 (Lat/Lon: 53.063474, -7.981891), Loughkeen which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)