It comprises 6522 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and contains an abundance of limestone.
The principal seats are Mobarnan Manor, the handsome and well-planted demesne of M. Jacob, Esq.; Beechmount, the residence of T. G. Phillips, Esq.; and Silverfort, of J. Scully, Esq. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the gift of the Archbishop, to whose mensal the rectory is appropriate. The tithes, amounting to £230, are entirely payable to the archbishop, who allows a stipend to the curate: there is a glebe-house. The church is a neat Gothic structure, built about 20 years since. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Killenaule, and has a chapel at Moyglass. In the parochial school, built on an acre of ground given by S. Jacob, Esq., who also contributed £40 towards its erection, about 40 children are educated, and there are two private schools, containing about 170 children. Some remains of Mobarnan and Ballyvaiden castles still exist; and there are several ancient forts.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Magorban to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S1592840514 (Lat/Lon: 52.516197, -7.766101), Magorban which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)