Robinson; Fort William, of Anthony Parker, Esq.; Northland, of Wm. Smith, Esq.; Hilton, of Thomas Dancer, Esq.; Behamore Castle, of Benjamin Hawkshaw, Esq.; View Mount, of Thomas R. Barnes, Esq.; Cloghkeating, of A. Robinson, Esq.; Willow Lodge, of Jas. Fleetwood, Esq.; Elysium, of Thomas Ely, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. W. T. Homan; and Ballycapple Cottage, the property of the Rev. R. Stoney.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £533. 8. 11. The glebe-house, which stands on a glebe of 10 acres, was built about 1813, when the late Board of First Fruits gave £250 and lent £550 towards its erection. The church was rebuilt in 1828.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Cloghjordan; the chapel of Modreeny, which stands on an eminence in the townland of Coolnamanna, is a handsome modern edifice. In the parochial schools, partly supported by S. Trench, Esq., and the rector, and partly by private subscriptions, about 150 children are educated: there are also three private schools, containing about 140 children, and three Sunday schools. At Ballycapple, Cloghkeating, and Behamore, are the ruins of the castles respectively so called; and in the demesne of Modreeny House are some remains of another, which appears to have been destroyed by gunpowder.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Modreeny to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9686388846 (Lat/Lon: 52.950721, -8.047401), Modreeny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)