There is a small portion of wet or bottom land. Great facility for the transport of agricultural and other produce is afforded by the steam-boats of the Inland Navigation Company, one of whose stations is in the adjoining parish of Dromineer. The seats are Richmond, the residence of R. W. Gason, Esq., situated in a handsome and well-planted demesne; Tullaghmore, of Wm. Finch, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. Wm. Cromie; and Rockfort, the property of J. Wolfe, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, each forming a distinct benefice, and both in the gift of the Bishop. Of the tithes, amounting to £415.7. 8½., two-thirds are payable to the rector, and the remainder to the vicar.
There is a glebe comprising 8a. lr.; and a glebe-house, erected in 1813, by aid of a gift of £400, and a loan of £308, from the late Board of First Fruits. The church is a plain structure with a tower, built in 1799, by aid of a gift of £500, and repaired in 1818 by a loan of £50 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Killodiernan and Dromineer, and containing two chapels: that of Monsea is a handsome modern building, situated at Carrick; the other is in Killodiernan. About 50 children are educated in a private school. At Ballyatalla are some vestiges of the ancient castle of that name.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monsea to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8170482263 (Lat/Lon: 52.891268, -8.272552), Monsea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)