RATHNAVEOGE, a parish, in the barony of IKERRIN, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W. by S.) from Roscrea, on the south side of the mail road from Dublin to Limerick; containing 1387 inhabitants. It comprises 4227 statute acres, of which about 3300 are nearly equally divided between tillage and pasture: the remainder is waste. Within its limits is part of Benduff mountain, on the north-eastern side of which rises a stream that joins the river Nore at a short distance from its source in the Slieve Bloom mountains. The seats are Lisduff, the residence of Wm. Smith, Esq.; Honey Mount, of John Lloyd, Esq.; Summer Hill, of W. T. Shortt, Esq.; and Newgrove, of Westrop Smith, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, forming part of the union of Dunkerrin: the tithes amount to £253. 9. 8¾. In the R. C. divisions also it is in the union or district of Dunkerrin. Some remains of the old church and castle of Rathnaveoge still exist. At a short distance from the latter is the ruined castle of Ballynakill, the property, and formerly the residence, of the Minchin family; it is surrounded by a high wall regularly fortified, and the buildings appear to have been of considerable extent.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.