RELICKMURRY, or RELIGMURRY, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Cashel, near the road to Tipperary: the population is returned with the parish of Athassel. It is situated on the river Suir, and forms part of the tract called the "Golden Vale," from the superior quality of the land, a large portion of which is under grass. Within its limits is the post-town of Golden, which is described under its own head. At Castle Lake is a distillery, employing generally from 40 to 50 persons. Adjoining it is the neat residence of Thomas Mathew, Esq.; and at Rockview is that of Sam. Cooper, Esq., surrounded by neatly planted grounds. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, united from time immemorial to those of Athassel, Ballygriffin, and Dangandargan, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes of Relickmurry and Athassel amount to £550, and those of the entire benefice to £846. 8.7. The glebe-house was built in 1819, when the late Board of First Fruits granted £100 as a gift, and £1500 as a loan, towards its erection, the remainder of its cost being defrayed by the rector: the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is situated in the town of Golden. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Athassel, Kilfeacle, and Dogstown; and containing the chapels of Golden and Kilfeacle. In the national school at Thomastown, and in a school supported by Lady Elizabeth Mathew about 150 children are educated; and there are four private schools, in which are about 240 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.