SOLLOGHODBEG, a parish, in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, countY of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 2¾ miles (N.) from Tipperary, on the road to Burris- o-leagh; containing 758 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the confines of the county of Limerick: a considerable part of it belongs to the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charities, and is chiefly in the hands of cottier sub-tenants. The soil is in general a fine loam or wet clay much in want of draining. Limestone abounds, especially at the hill of Solloghodbeg, but the management of the dairy is more attended to than tillage, as being more profitable. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Emly, forming part of the union of Cullen: the tithes amount to £110. 8. 10.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Solloghodbeg to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8833541073 (Lat/Lon: 52.521322, -8.172573), Solloghodbeg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)