The principal seats are Cranagh, the property of J.
Lloyd, Esq., but now in the occupation of the Rev. M.
N. Thompson, a handsome mansion attached to a circular tower in the rear, the remains of a very ancient castle; and Long Orchard, the residence of Richard Lalor Sheil, Esq. The village has lately been much improved, and several new houses have been built; a penny post has been established; nine monthly fairs are held in the year, chiefly for the sale of pigs; and a constabulary police force has been stationed there. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, united to the rectory and vicarage of Callabeg, together forming the corps of the prebend of Kilbragh, in the cathedral of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop. The tithes amount to £501. 10.; the glebe comprises 13¾ acres, and the gross value of the benefice is £749. 10.9¼.
per. annum. The church is situated in the village. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Moyne; the chapel, a neat building, is situated in the village. About 340 children are taught in four public schools, of which the parochial school is supported by the rector; and there is a dispensary. There are remains of several old castles in the parish.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Templetouhy to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S1868371636 (Lat/Lon: 52.795761, -7.723762), Templetouhy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)