TERRYGLASS, a parish, in the barony of LOWER-ORMOND, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Burris-o-kane, on the road from Portumna to Nenagh; containing 25/3 inhabitants, of which number, 48 are in the hamlet. At this place, anciently called Tirdaglas, "the country of the two greens," St. Patrick is said to have baptized several inhabitants of Thomond, who came across the Shannon to him. St. Columba, a disciple of St. Finian, founded a monastery here, of which he became the first abbot, about the middle of the sixth century; dying of the pestilence in 552, he was interred here, and was succeeded by his brother, St. Mochoemius. In 801, 1112, and 1162, the town and abbey were destroyed by accidental fires; in 842 they were plundered and destroyed by the Danes, and in 1140 the whole place was destroyed by the people of O'Maney, a small territory around the barony of Tiaquin, county of Galway. Little remains of this celebrated seat of learning and religion, of which subsequently to 1162 we find no farther historical notice. The parish, which is bounded on the north-west by the Shannon, comprises 4066 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is light and partly in tillage; about 2000 acres are bog, which might be reclaimed by a canal to the Shannon; and about 106 acres are woodland, the greater portion of which, called Killanow Wood, is the property of the Globe Insurance Company. A flour-mill at Ballinderry, and one at Carrigahorig, are supplied by two small rivers. Limestone abounds and is used principally for building. The gentlemen's seats are Castle Biggs, the residence of Dr. W. Biggs, situated in a very neat demesne, in which is a square tower, commanding an extensive view of the Shannon and the surrounding country, and in the vicinity is a fine echo; Slavoir, of R. Monsell, Esq.; Ashgrove of B. Talbot, Esq.; and the neat glebe-house, of the Rev. R. Stoney. It is a rectory, vicarage, and perpetual cure, in the diocese of Killaloe; the rectory is in the patronage of the Bishop; the vicarage forms part of the corps of the deanery of Killaloe; and the perpetual cure is in the gift of the Dean. The tithes amount to £300, of which £200 is payable to the rector, and £100 to the vicar: the income of the perpetual curate is £100, half being paid by the vicar and the remainder from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816: the glebe comprises 15 acres, and £450 was given towards reducing the rent to 40s., late currency, per acre. The church is a plain building, erected by aid of a gift of £600 from the same Board, in 1808, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £138 for its repair. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Kilbarron, and contains a chapel. There are two private schools, in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are taught. On the shore of Lough Derg are the interesting remains of the castle known by the name of Old Court Castle: it stood on the declivity of a rising ground, and appears to have been a quadrilateral structure of two stories, with round towers at the angles: the walls are about five feet thick and are built with a considerable batter or inclination to the height of 10 or 12 feet from the foundation, which was laid on the surface; the total absence of chimneys or fireplaces, indicates the great antiquity of the structure, which exhibits several other peculiarities of a rude age. There are also considerable remains of the ancient parochial church.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
- 1901 Census of Terryglass Civil Parish - From the IGP 1901 Tipperary Census Page. Transcribed by volunteers.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Terryglass to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R8666499138 (Lat/Lon: 53.043041, -8.199566), Terryglass which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)