1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Terryglass contained the following places:
"TERRYGLASS, a parish in the barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary, province of Munster, Ireland, 5 miles N.W. of Borrisokane. Carrigahorrig is its post town. The surface consists of cultivated soil, with bog. It is crossed by the road from Cortumna to Nenagh, and is bounded on the N.W. by the river Shannon. The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe, value £178, in the patronage of the bishop and crown alternately. The church was erected in 1808 by means of a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and two private schools. The principal seat is Castle Biggs. Limestone is quarried. The ruins of the old church, and of a monastic establishment, founded by St. Columba in the 6th century, as also the remains of Old Court Castle, are to be seen."
"BALLINDERRY, a hamlet in the parish of Terryglass, and barony of Lower Ormond, in the county of Tipperary, province of Munster, Ireland, 4 miles to the W. of Borrisokane. It lies near the eastern shore of Lough Derg."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018