Hide

Tubbrid

hide
Hide
TUBRID, a parish, in the barony of IFFA and OFFA WEST, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Cahir, on the road to Clogheen; containing 4550 inhabitants. Exclusive of mountain and bog, this parish comprises about 10,000 statute acres, Within its limits are a station of the constabulary police, and the following seats: Scart, the residence of H.

Rice, Esq., and Carrigataha, of W. J. Fennel, Esq., pleasantly situated near the river Suir. The manor is the property of Lord Waterpark. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, episcopally united to those of Ballybacon and Whitechurch, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the rectory forms part of the corps of the deanery. The tithes amount to £955.5.3., of which £567. 8. 7. is payable to the dean and the remainder to the incumbent. A portion of the deanery lands, comprising 40 statute acres, is in this parish; the glebe comprises 27a. 3r. 8p., and there is a glebe in Ballybacon of 4a. 1r. 22p. The church is a modern edifice with a neat tower. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Ballylooby, or Whitechurch.

About 200 children are educated in the parochial schools, which are aided by an annual donation from Lord Waterpark; the school-house, with a residence for the master, was built at the expense of the late Lord Waterpark, who also gave an acre of land towards its support: there are also three private schools, in which are about 170 children. Some remains of Ruscoe Castle still exist, boldly situated on a rock; and there is a holy well, dedicated to St. Kearn, much venerated by the peasantry. The Irish historian. Dr. Geoffrey Keating, who was a native and priest of this parish, is buried in Tubrid churchyard; in front of an old ruined chapel, close to the church, is a Latin inscription, dated 1644, enjoining the reader to pray for the souls of Eugenius Duhy and Geoffrey Keating, its founders.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Tubbrid which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S0091220892 (Lat/Lon: 52.340095, -7.987345), Tubbrid which are provided by: