TEMPLEOUTRAGH, or UPPER-CHURCH, a parish, in the barony of KILNEMANAGH, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (S. E.) from Burris-o-leagh, on the road from Newport to Thurles; containing 2635 inhabitants, and comprising 1285 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. It is in the diocese of Cashel; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Ormonde, and the vicarage is appropriate to the Archbishop's mensal: the tithes amount to £202.10. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Upperchurch, comprising this parish and that of Moyaliffe, in each of which is a chapel: that of Templeoutragh is a large building. There are five private schools, in which are about 300 children.
Some remains of the old church exist.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Upperchurch.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Upperchurch to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R9656461216 (Lat/Lon: 52.702447, -8.051561), Upperchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
596564,661216and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)