YOUGHAL-ARRA, a parish, in the barony of OWNEY and ARRA, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 4½ miles (W.) from Nenagh, on the river Shannon; containing 4247 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the junction of the counties of Clare and Galway, where the Shannon expands and forms Lough Derg; it comprises 4,515 plantation acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is of inferior quality, much of it being moist and unprofitable, and there is a considerable quantity of mountain, but capable of being reclaimed. There are three extensive slate quarries of the Mining Company of Ireland at work, situated at Curraghbally, Corbally, and Clonebrien, where large quantities of slate are raised, for the exportation of which the steam navigation of the river affords every facility. The small rivers Newtown and Youghal run through the parish and afford sites for mills. On the north and east boundaries of the parish, between it and that of Dromineer, is the bay of Youghal, said to be one of the safest in the river. The seats are Kilcoleman, the residence of Mrs. Finch, in a handsome and well-planted demesne containing some very fine oak timber; Monroe, the neat cottage residence of R. Power, Esq.; and a similar seat surrounded by thriving plantations, the residence of W. Smithwick, Esq. Fairs are held on March 6th, June 27th, Sept. 30th, and Dec. 13th. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and is part of the union of Castletown-Arra: the tithes amount to £416. 6. 2. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Youghal-Arra and Burgess or Burgesbeg, in each of which is a chapel; that of Youghal-Arra is a remarkably neat building of modern erection in the Gothic style, pleasantly situated on an eminence. On the lands of Monroe are the remains of a square tower, much dilapidated. Here are also the ruins of an oratory, supposed to have been a place of worship of the O'Brien family; and on a part of the wall of the old church is the figure of a head, with the inscription "St. Coonna, 434. "A well near it is called St. Coulan's.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Youghalarra to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference R7830980038 (Lat/Lon: 52.871153, -8.322852), Youghalarra which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Irish Ordnance Survey (Has old Irish maps)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)