TULLANISKEN, a parish, in the barony of DUNGANNON, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, on the road from Dungannon to Stewartstown, and on the Tyrone canal; containing, with the post-town of Coal-Island (which see), 4102 inhabitants. This parish comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 4461¼ statute acres, of which 26 are under water; the surface is remarkably undulating and the soilvarious; that part which is under tillage is generally productive of good corn crops and flax. At Derryvale, Torren Hill, and New Mills, are large greens for bleaching linen cloth, where about 20,000 pieces are annually finished, chiefly for the English markets. At Coal Island, Oghran, and New Mills, are also extensive iron-works, forges, and platingmills, for the manufacture of spades, shovels, edge-tools, &c. At Coal Island also is a very large establishment fur the manufacture of fire-bricks, pots for glass-houses, and crucibles, which was established in 1834 by two English gentlemen from Stourbridge: the greater part of the goods manufactured here, are for London, Liverpool and other principal manufacturing towns in Lancashire. Here are also extensive coal-works, earthenware manufactories, and many other trades dependent on the above, all in full operation and productive of great benefit to this part of the country. The surrounding scenery is interesting and the land is well planted. Among the principal seats are Lisdhue, the residence of the Hon. A. G. Steuart; Bloomhill, of Jas. Scott, Esq.; Drumreagh, of W. Lowry, Esq.; Torren Hill, of J. S. Murray, Esq.; Beech Grove, of J. Pike, Esq.; Derryvale, of J. Davis, Esq.; and Tullanisken glebe, of the Rev. Robert Kingsmore.

The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Armagh, and in the patronage of the Lord-Primate; the tithes amount to £200. The glebe-house was built about 1791, at a cost of £813 British, of which £100 was a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. The old church was destroyed in the war of 1641; and in the 15th of Chas. II. this parish was united to that of Drumglass, and Tullanisken church remained in ruins until 1792, when Primate Robinson dissolved the union and erected the present church at New Mills, near the ancient one; it is in the later English style, with an embattled square tower, and was built at a cost of £553 British, of which £461 was a gift from the beforementioned Board, £35 was raised by parochial assessment, and the residue by private subscription: in 1823 a gallery was added at an expense of £73, of which £40 was subscribed by individuals, the residue being raised by parochial assessment. In the R. C. divisions the parish is one of three forming the union or district of Drurmglass, and has one small chapel.

The parochial schools, at New Mills, near the church, are aided by the rector 3 the school-house was built in 1821, with a residence for the master, and is endowed with an acre of land from the glebe. A school at Creenagh is aided by an annual donation from Lord Castlesteuart: in these schools are about ISO children.

There are also a school at Edendork and a private school. Near Lake Farlough is an ancient mansion named after it, distinguished as occupying the site of Tyrone's favourite camp 3 and a little westward from Tullanisken church, on the northern bank of the Torren, is a large and well-fortified encampment thrown up by Turlogh O'Nial. In the churchyard is a venerable ash tree, measuring 29 feet in circumference; and near Drumrea is a valuable sulphureous spring, much resorted to and highly beneficial in scorbutic cases.

Ducart, the celebrated engineer, resided for some years in this parish, and tinder his direction the aqueducts, bridges, &c, were constructed, by the Board of Inland Navigation.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Tullyniskan which are provided by:



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference H8257067259 (Lat/Lon: 54.546935, -6.724821), Tullyniskan which are provided by: