Waterford, a county of Ireland, province of Munster, bounded N by Kilkenny and Tipperary, E by Wexford, S by the sea, and W by Cork, 42 m. long E to W, and 8 to 22 broad. Area, 425,692 acres, divided into 74 parishes. It presents a diversity of soil and prospect, but in general is pleasant and fertile, yet in many parts mountainous and rocky; even on the sides of the mountains, however, there is good pasture for cattle. It sends 2 members to the imperial parliament. Pop. 127,679.
[From The New London Gazetteer (1826)]
The transcription for this county from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Ireland Genealogy Project's County Waterford page, and its listing of the Project's available Waterford Records.
- The Irish Ancestors website (subscription) has the following types of records: State Registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths, Census returns, Land records, Church records, Genealogical Office records, Gravestone inscriptions, Directories, Newspapers, Wills, Deeds, and Occupations.
- Irish Ancestors' extensive County Waterford website.
- The LDS FamilySearch Wiki's Ireland Online Genealogy Records for County Waterford.
- The Fianna website's pages for County Waterford provide important addresses and extensive information about online and other genealogy resources.
- Roots Ireland (subscription) "offers access to a unique database of more than 20 million Irish records". Its Waterford coverage includes Baptismal/Birth Records, Marriage Records, Burial/Death Records and Griffith's Valuation (Free Access).
- On-line Irish Names Research Directory - surname listing for this county