Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for WATERFORD

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WATERFORD

In 1868, the parish of Waterford contained the following places:

"WATERFORD, a parish, market town, seaport, parliamentary borough, episcopal city, a county of a city, and the county town of county Waterford, Ireland, 94 miles S.S.W. from Dublin, 76 N.E. from Cork, and 32 S.W. from Wexford. It was founded by the Danes in 850, and soon became a place of considerable importance. In 1170, Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, took it by assault, and considerably enlarged it. King John resided here for some time, and granted to it its first charter, which was annulled by James I., but after nine years was restored by Charles I. Cromwell besieged the town unsuccessfully in 1649, but it was taken in the following year by Ireton. James II. embarked at this harbour for France after the battle of the Boyne, and the city surrendered to William, who remained here for some time. It had previously been visited by different sovereigns, and had received many charters and other marks of royal favour. The city, which is about 12 miles from the sea, is situated wholly on the right bank of the Suir, here 230 to 350 yards in breadth; it is here joined by St. John's river, which falls into it on the S. side of the city. The principal streets are the Quay, a mile in length, and the Mall, the houses of which are regular and well built; but in the older parts the streets are irregular and the houses ill-arranged. There is a suburb on the left bank of the river. The corporation consists of the mayor, 10 aldermen, and 30 councillors, elected from five wards. The old borough was co-extensive with the old county of the city, and continues to be the parliamentary borough, which returns two members to parliament, and in 1865 had a constituency of 1,124; but the municipal boundaries are much less extensive, being only 668 acres in extent. The population in 1861 was 23,202, of whom 1,989 were members of the Established Church, 20,429 Roman Catholics, 234 Presbyterians, 266 Methodists, 153 Quakers, and 131 belonging to other denominations. The cathedral is 170 feet long; there are two parochial churches. The Roman Catholic cathedral is of the Ionic order of architecture, and there are five other Roman Catholic churches; also Presbyterian, Baptist, Independent, Methodist, and Friends' meeting-houses. The other public buildings are the townhall, customhouse, and union workhouse, the Protestant episcopal palace, the Roman Catholic college of St. John, an endowed school, blue-coat schools for boys and girls, district model National school, the city and county court houses and gaols, the district lunatic asylum, besides several hospitals, almshouses, and other charitable institutions. The assizes for both county and city are held in the city, also quarter sessions. The mayor has a court for suits of wages, and petty sessions are held on every Friday. Market - days are Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Fairs are held on 4th May, 24th June, 25th October, and on the first Monday in every month."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018