CONRAGH, or CONRY, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E.) from Ballymore, on the road from Mullingar to Athlone, containing 930 inhabitants.
The land is principally under tillage, and there is much bog and limestone. Here are Charleville, the seat of C. Kelly, Esq., and Tozerstown, of W. T. Dillon, Esq.
At Loughnavally is a police station, and a patron or fair is held thereon the 15th of August. This is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Churchtown; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire. The tithes amount to £65, of which £40 is paid to the impropriator, and the remainder to the incumbent. In the R. C. divisions also the parish forms part of the union or district of Churchtown, and has a chapel at Loughnavally. There is a pay school at Carna, in which are about 25 children. There are the remains of an old church at Conragh, and of old castles at Tozerstown and Cronghill. On the celebrated hill of Knockusneach are two large rocks, said to have been St. Patrick's bed; and some of the Irish kings resided in the neighbourhood CONVOY, a parish and village, in the barony of RAPHOE, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Raphoe; containing 5380 inhabitants, of which number, 356 are in the village. It ia situated on the river Dale, and oh the road from Stranorlar to Raphoe, from which latter parish it was separated in 1825, and formed into a distinct parish, comprising, according to the Ordnance survey, 20,082 statute acres. At its north-western extremity is the mountain of Cark, 1198 feet above the level of the sea. The village consists of one long street, comprising 73 houses; and has fairs on May 17'th, Oct. 26th, and Nov. 3rd. The village of Cornagillagh is also in this parish. Convoy House is the residence of R.
Montgomery, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Raphoe, and in the gift of the Dean of coo Raphoe: the curate's income consists of £75 paid by the. dean, and £25 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church, is a handsome structure, in the ancient English style of architecture, and was erected by aid of a gift of £420, and a loan of £300, from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1822. In the R. C. divi sions the parish forms part of the union or district of Raphoe, and has a large plain chapel near the village.
There is a meeting-house for Presbyterians, in connec tion with the Synod of Ulster, of the second class; also one for Covenanters. The parochial school is aided by a grant from Col. Robertson's fund; and there are seven other public schools in the parish, in all of which more than 500 children are taught; also four Sunday schools.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Conry.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Conry to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N2983247524 (Lat/Lon: 53.477125, -7.551434), Conry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Conryand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)