Hide

Dysart

hide
Hide

DYSART, a parish, partly in the barony of Rathconrath, but chiefly in that of Moycashel and Magheradernan, county of Westmeath, and province of Leinster, 5 miles (S. W.) from Mullingar, on Lough Ennel, and on the road from Mullingar to Kilbeggan; containing 1020 inhabitants, St. Column is said to have founded an abbey here, which was eventually a house of Conventual Franciscans. One of the islands belonging to Dysart was fortified by the Irish, at the close of the civil war of 1641, and made one of their chief depositories. It was taken, under capitulation, by the English, but was re-taken and the English made prisoner's; it finally surrendered to a superior force. The pariah comprises 4244 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act: the laud is exceedingly fertile.. There is a considerable tract of bog, and an abundance of limestone.

Dysart House, now in ruins, and Lilliput, also uninhabited, both the property of Andrew Savage Nugent, Esq., are in the parish. There is a constabulary police station in the village. The parish is in the diocese of Heath, and is a rectory, forming part of the union of Churchtown: the tithes amount to $120, and the glebe contains 12 acres. In the R. C, divisions it is part of the union or district of Churchtown; the chapel is near the village. There are some remains of an old church with a cemetery.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

The Wikipedia entry for Dysart.

You can see pictures of Dysart which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Dysart contained the townlands of:
topup

Land & Property

The entry for Dysart from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

Tithe Applotment Books 1823/37 for this parish on NAI

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N3693049804 (Lat/Lon: 53.497152, -7.444275), Dysart which are provided by: