FAUGHLEY, or FAUGHANSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of DEMIFORE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S.) from Castlepollard.
on the road to Mullingar; containing 155l inhabitants, and comprising 4059 statute acres. It extends along the entire north side of Lough Derveragh, and includes within its limits the hill of Knock Ion. The land is prinpally under an improving system of tillage; limestone abounds; there is very little bog. Near the upper end of the lake stands Gartlandstown, the seat of J. Mu ray, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Rathoraff, or Custlepol lard; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The. tithes amount to £320, of which £l42. 4. 5½. is payable to the impropriators, and £177. 15. 6½. to the incumbent. In the R. C. divi sions it forms part of the union or district of Maynr and Faughanstown, also called Tarbotstown, anil has a chapel at Milltown. A school at Dernagaragh, in which are 46 boys and 24 girls, is aided by a bequest of the late Col. Monk; and there are three private school, in which 76 boys and 48 girls are instructed.
On contiguous eminences, overlooking Lough Derveragh, are two very large raths, and near Gartlandstown are two others. At Dernagaragh are the ruins of an old castle; and on the shore of the lake are the remains of the parochial church, near which are those of a chapel.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Faughalstown.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Faughalstown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N4633365707 (Lat/Lon: 53.639283, -7.300241), Faughalstown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Faughalstownand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)