The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Kilcleagh contained the following places:
"KILCLEAGH, a parish in the barony of Clonlonan, county Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, containing the greater part of its post town, Moate. It is 7 miles long, and its greatest breadth is 2½ miles. The surface is varied but well cultivated. The river Shannon passes in the vicinity, and the road from Dublin to Galway traverses the interior. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Meath, value £312, in the patronage of the bishop. The church was erected in 1782, and has been subsequently enlarged. There are two Roman Catholic chapels and a Quakers' meeting-house; also four public and seven private schools. Castle Daly, Ballymahown, and Newbridge are the principal residences. The ruins of Clonlonan Castle are in this parish."
"BALLINAHOUN, a hamlet in the parish of Kilcleagh, and barony of Clonlonan, in the county of Westmeath, and province of Leinster, Ireland, 6 miles to the S.E. of Athlone. Ballinahoun Court is the principal residence."
"BALLYNAHOWN, a village, in the parish of Kilcleagh, barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.) from Athlone, on the road to Parsonstown: the population is returned with the parish. It was for more than nine centuries the residence of the Malone family, whose ancient mansion, built on the site of an old castle and now unoccupied, is the principal object of interest. The estate, together with the old family mansion, called Ballynahown House, has at length passed into other hands. Here is a constabulary police station. See KlLLALEAGH."
"MOATE, (or Moate-a-grenoge), a small post and market town in the parishes of Kilmanaghan and Kilcleagh, barony of Clonlonan, county Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, 10 miles from Athlone, 17 S.W. of Mullingar, and 66 from Dublin. It is a station on the Midland Great Western railway. It is situated on the road from Dublin to Galway, and consists of one well edificed street. It contains the parish church of Kilcleagh, a Roman Catholic chapel, three other chapels, a convent, schools, bridewell, and a dispensary within the Athlone Poor-law Union. Numerous seats adorn the neighbourhood, and the Grand canal affords ready communication. Here is a chief police station, and petty sessions are held at frequent intervals. A detachment of James II.'s troops took shelter here when retiring before De Ginkell in 1690. It takes its name from having had a moat called Grace M'Loughlin, or "Grana Oge." Thursday is market day. Fairs are held on 25th April, 22nd June, 2nd and 15th October.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018