"KILLARE, a parish in the barony of Rathconrath, county Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, containing part of the town of Ballymore, its post town. The parish is 5 miles long by 3 broad, and includes part of Lough Sunderlin. The roads from Mullingar to Athlone, and fron Longford to Kilbeggan, pass through the parish. The living is an impropriate curacy in the diocese of Meath joined to Ballymore, in the patronage of the crown. The Roman Catholic chapel is united to that of Ballymore. There are four day-schools. Killare House is the principal residence. This parish is supposed to be the Laberus of Ptolemy, and near this spot is the ancient hill of Usenach. There are some church ruins, said to be those of a monastery founded in the 6th century, and dedicated to SS. Aidan and Brigid. There are likewise vestiges of a castle erected by Sir Hugh de Lacy in 1181, and subsequently possessed by the Geoghegans and Shaens."
"UPPER CLONARALYNAGH, (and Lower Clonaralynagh) two hamlets in the parish of Killare, barony of Rathcornath, in the county of Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles from Ballymore."
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868
The Wikipedia entry for Killare.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Killare to another place.
The entry for Killare from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N2536748525 (Lat/Lon: 53.486349, -7.618605), Killare which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Killareand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)