Hide

Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion)

hide
Hide

KILMANAGHAN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, but chiefly in that of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with part of the post-town of Moate, 3414 inhabitants, of which number, 1428 are in the county of Westmeath. This parish, which is also called Kilmonagh, comprises 6626 statute acres, of which a considerable quantity is bog; agriculture is in an improved state. There is a large woollen cloth manufactory in the parish. The principal seats are Kilfylan, the residence of E. W. Birmingham, Esq.; Ballinaminton, of Major G. Marsh; Telford, of W. Greenville, Esq.; Ballyboilan, of Mrs. Armstrong; Brookville, of D. Byrne, Esq.; Moyally, of M. Fox, Esq.; and Rockfield, of H. Higgins, Esq.

The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire; the vicarage forms part of the union of Ardnurcher; and there is also a perpetual cure, forming part of the union of Clara. The tithes amount to £247.13.10¼., of which £147. 13. 10¼ is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar; the perpetual curate receives a stipend of £80 from the vicar and £20 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebe comprises 53 acres, valued at £106 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilcumreagh, and called the union of Tubber and Kilmanaghan, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school, in which about 60 children are educated; also four private schools, in which are 260 children. Part of the old church remains, with a burial-ground attached; and at Gurteen are the ruins of a castle.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

The Wikipedia entry for Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion).

You can see pictures of Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion) which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion) contained the townlands of:
topup

Land & Property

The entry for Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion) from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N2007938608 (Lat/Lon: 53.397475, -7.698888), Kilmanaghan (Westmeath portion) which are provided by: