MOYLISKER, or MOLYSKAR, a parish, in the barony of FARTULLAGH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (S.) from Mullingar, on the road to Tyrrell's Pass; containing 255 inhabitants.
It is situated on the eastern shore of Lough Innel, and comprises 1593¾ statute acres of land, generally good, and (with the exception of some small moors) either in tillage or pasture; limestone abounds, and the state of agriculture is improving. Near the church is a small lake, from which the parish takes its name. Petty sessions are held at Moylisker every Wednesday. Among the seats is Belvedere, the property of Lord Lanesborough, occupying a beautiful situation on the summit of a small hill, in the centre of an amphitheatre of other hills, whence a fine lawn descends to the shore of Lough Innel, diversified by its islands, and the finely wooded promontory of Rochfort. Adjoining the latter is Rochfort House, the seat of Col. Rochfort, one of the finest mansions in the county; it is surrounded by a demesne of great beauty, separated from that of Belvedere by a large pile of artificial castellated ruins. On a rising ground behind Rochfort House is Tallyho, the residence of Mrs. Gerard. The other seats are Annaville, the residence of Wm, Robinson, Esq.; and Tyrrell's Town, of B. Briggs, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united at a period unknown to the rectories of Lynn and Carrick, together constituting the union of Moylisker, in the patronage of the Crown. The tithes amount to £65, and the gross value of the benefice, tithes and glebe inclusive, is £366. 3.1. The glebe and glebe-house are in the parish of Lynn. The church is an ancient structure: it was enlarged in 1807, at an expense of £394.3.1., and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £129.11.6. for its repair.
In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union, or district of Mullingar. The parochial school of about 10 children, at Rathduff, is aided by a small annual payment from the rector. There are several ancient raths in the parish, and at Tyrrell's Town are the remains of an old castle. Belvedere formerly gave the title of Earl to the family of Rochfort, which became extinct on the death of the last earl in 1814.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Moylisker.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Moylisker to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N4266046858 (Lat/Lon: 53.470253, -7.358338), Moylisker which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Moyliskerand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)