PIERCETOWN, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 9 miles (W. by N.) from Mullingar, on the road to Ballymahon, and on the river Inny; containing 1089 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the county of Longford, and comprises 3778 statute acres, besides a great extent of bog: the land is principally under tillage; there is abundance of limestone.
Ballinacurra House is the residence of B. Digby, Esq.
It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Almoritia: the tithes amount to £95; the glebe comprises 12 acres, valued at £24 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Forgney, and contains a chapel at Ballinacurra. A school, at Ballinacurra, in which about 50 children are educated, is aided by an annual grant of £30 from Mr.
Digby; and there is a private school, in which are about 30 children.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Piercetown.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Piercetown to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N2503957059 (Lat/Lon: 53.563035, -7.62287), Piercetown which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Piercetownand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)