Hide

RATHCONRATH

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Rathconrath contained the following places:

"RATHCONRATH, a parish in the barony of Rathconrath, county Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, 3½ miles S. of Ballynacargy, its post town. The surface comprises 7,563 acres, consisting very generally of good land. The road from Dublin to Athlone traverses the interior. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Meath, value £227. The church was erected in 1809 near the site of a more ancient one by the late Board of First Fruits. The Roman Catholic chapel is at the head of a union. There are National and two other public schools, also a police station. Mount Dalton and Neares Court are the principal residences. The Cat and Mouse, on the Ballymore road, are two curious rocks, near which a subterraneous river has its source. At Mount Dalton a monument has been erected in honour of the Empress Maria Theresa, the Emperor Joseph II., and George III."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018