The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
In 1868, the parish of Rathgarve contained the following places:
"RATHGARVE, (or Rathgraff), a parish in the barony of Fore, county Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, containing its post town, Castle Pollard. The parochial surface is slightly hilly, and is watered by the river Glore. The village is traversed by the road from Dublin to Granard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Meath, value £361, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a Gothic structure renovated in 1821 by means of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. The Roman Catholic chapel is the head of the Castle Pollard district. There are a parish and several private day schools, also a Sunday-school. Kinturk is the principal residence. Ruins of the old church are seen. Limestone is quarried.
"CASTLEPOLLARD, a village or small market town in the parish of Rathgarve, barony of Fore, in the county of Westmeath, province of Leinster, Ireland, 10 miles to the N. of Mullingar, and 52 miles from Dublin. It is seated in a pleasant country on the N. side of Lough Deveragh, and near Lough Lane. The Cavan branch of the Midland Great Western railway passes within a short distance, the nearest station being Float. In the village are the parish church of Rathgraff, a chapel for Roman Catholics, and the parochial school. There are also a market house, a savings-bank, and a fever hospital. Petty sessions are held, and a chief station of police is fixed here. Some ruins of the ancient parish church are still standing, but no remains exist of the old castle. Pakenham Hall is the seat of the Earl of Longford. Kinturk, is the residence of the Pollard family, the proprietors of the village. Wednesday is the market day. Fairs are held on the 21st May, the 1st and 2nd August, the 10th October, and the 10th December."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018