RUSSAGH, a parish, in the barony of MOYGOISH, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Edgeworthstown, on the road from Dublin to Sligo; containing 778 inhabitants. This parish, which extends on the south to the river Inny, and includes the small lake of Lough Gar or Cappa, comprises 6500 statute acres, which, exclusive of a large proportion of bog, is in general good land and chiefly under tillage. The soil is fertile and the system of agriculture improving; limestone abounds and is quarried for agricultural purposes, and there are also quarries of black flag-stone of very fine quality. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Westmeath. The tithes amount to £86. 5., of which £52. 10. is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the bishop; the glebe comprises 14 acres, valued at £21. 14. per annum. There is no church, but divine service is regularly performed in a private house licensed by the bishop. In the R. C.
divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Rathaspick, in each of which is a chapel; that of Russagh is situated near the village of Rathowen. There is a private school, in which are about 85 children; also a Sunday school.
There are some remains of the old church with its cemetery; and some Danish raths and mineral springs.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Russagh.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Russagh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N3297667156 (Lat/Lon: 53.653316, -7.502018), Russagh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
Russaghand paste it along with the county name into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)