Hide

Stonehall

hide
Hide

STONEHALL, a parish, in the barony of CORKAREE, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 6¼ miles (N.) from Mullingar, on the road from Rathowen to Castletown-Delvin; containing 632 inhabitants.

The parish, which comprises 2441 statute acres of good land, one-half of which is arable and the remainder pasture, borders on the north-east upon the most picturesque portion of Lough Dereveragh, over which rises the hill of Knockbody, commanding a view of a range of heights to the south: to the west are other high hills, at the bottom of which, and on the side of a small lake, are the vestiges of the old parish church: the land is principally under tillage, with some bog, marshy land and mountain. Mornington, the seat of Owen Daly, Esq., is in the parish. It is in the diocese of Meath, and is one of the three parishes forming the union of Taghmon, or Multifarnham, but the tithes, amounting to £90, are wholly impropriate in the Marquess of Headfort: it is also a perpetual curacy, comprising the parishes of Stonehall and Multifarnham, and in the patronage of the Incumbent of Taghmon; the income of the perpetual curate is £113. 2. 3¾., arising from £64. 12. 3¾., payable by the rector of Taghmon, £37 from the augmentation fund of Primate Boulter, and the glebe of 11½ acres, valued at £11. 10. per annum. The glebe-house, which is 1½ mile from the church, was built in 1817 by a gift of £450 and a loan of £50 from the late Board of First Fruits: both glebehouse and glebe are in the parish of Multifarnham.

The church, a plain badly constructed edifice, in indifferent repair, was built in 1809 by a gift of £600 from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Rathconnell. In the hill of Polnagoth there is a remarkable cavern of considerable depth.

from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.

Hide
topup

Description & Travel

The Wikipedia entry for Stonehall.

You can see pictures of Stonehall which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

The civil parish of Stonehall contained the townlands of:
topup

Land & Property

The entry for Stonehall from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference N4385062281 (Lat/Lon: 53.608722, -7.338262), Stonehall which are provided by: