ARDCANDRIDGE, or ARDCANDRISK, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3½ miles (W. by N.) from Wexford, containing 242 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Slaney, by which it is bounded on the north, and on the road from Wexford along the south bank of the river, by way of Clonmore, to Enniscorthy: it comprises 1144 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is chiefly under tillage, which has gradually improved since the introduction of the drill system of husbandry. Ardcandrisk House, the seat of G. Grogan Morgan, Esq., the proprietor of the soil, was built in 1833, and is beautifully situated on a wooded eminence rising above the Slaney, and commanding a very fine and extensive prospect. The Slaney is navigable for lighters tip to Enniscorthy, affording facility for the conveyance of corn and other agricultural produce to Wexford, and for bringing coal and other commodities from that port.
The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and the rectory is one of the sixteen, denominations constituting the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford: the tithes amount to £48. 18. 6½. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Glyn, a village in the parish of Killurin.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ardcandrisk to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9783123560 (Lat/Lon: 52.355347, -6.564858), Ardcandrisk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
697831,623560and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)