ARDCAVAN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, adjoining the town of Wexford, (with which it is connected by the bridge), and containing 878 inhabitants, It is situated on the eastern shore of the estuary of the Slaney, and comprises 2370 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. Ely House, the property of the Marquess of Ely, is situated near the bridge, at the southern extremity of the parish, and is the residence of R. Hughes, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ferns, and is an impropriate cure, forming part of the union of Ardcolme; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl 44 of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £139. 18. 1¾., of which £73. 1. 10¾. is payable to the impropriator, and £66. 16. 3. to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Castlebridge, where the chapel is situated, and the greater part of which village is within its limits. Near the shore of Wexford harbour are the ruins of the old church; and at Ballytramont there are considerable remains of the ancient castle of that name. An extensive coppice wood, comprising about 65 statute acres, stretches along the estuary from the latter place.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Castlebridge on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ardcavan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0562725879 (Lat/Lon: 52.374735, -6.449754), Ardcavan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705627,625879and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)