BALLYCARNEY, a district parish, in the barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (W. by S.) from Ferns: the population is returned with the parishes of Ferns, Templeshambo, and Monart, out of which this district parish has been recently formed. The village, which is in the parish of Ferns, is situated on the eastern bank of the Slaney, over which is a neat stone bridge, and on the road from Enniscorthy to Newtownbarry: it has a penny post from Ferns, and is a constabulary police station. The district church is a handsome structure in the later English style of architecture, recently erected: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Rectors of Ferns and Templeshambo.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The Wikipedia entry for Ballycarney.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballycarney to another place.
The entry for Ballycarney from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9667749288 (Lat/Lon: 52.586679, -6.574334), Ballycarney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
696677,649288and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)