BALLYHEO`GUE, a parish, partly in the barony of BANTRY, and partly in that of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S.) from Enniscorthy; containing 928 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road leading along the west bank of the river Slaney from Wexford to Enniscorthy, comprises 4240 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and in the cultivation of which the improved system has been adopted: there are about 60 acres of underwood, and the remainder is principally arable. Bellevue, formerly the residence of the late Rt Hon, G. Ogle, and now the seat of Anthony Cliffe, Esq., is an elegant mansion, with conservatories and every appendage, beautifully situated in an extensive demesne on the banks of the Slaney; the principal front is towards the river, and consists of a centre with a noble portico of eight Ionic columns, and two boldly projecting wings: the grounds are tastefully laid out, and the whole forms an interesting feature in a landscapeof greatbeauty.
Birchgrove, the seat of Admiral Wilson; and McMines, that of P. King, Esq., consisting of the ancient castle of that name, with some later additions, are also in this parish, and are both finely situated on the banks of the Slaney. The Slaney is navigable to Pool-Darragh (which part of the river separates this parish from that of Ballinaslaney) for the largest ships that can cross the bar of Wexford harbour, and to Enniscorthy for vessels of smaller burden. The contemplated canal for completing the navigation for vessels of large burden between Wexford and Enniscorthy will, according to the proposed plan, commence opposite Bellevue, at the townland of Pool-Darragh, in the parish of Ballinaslaney, and continue along the east bank of the river to within half a mile of the bridge at Enniscorthy, a distance of 6½ English miles. During the season an extensive salmon fishery is carried on in the river. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of Killurin: the tithes, amounting to £135. 13. 10¼., are appropriate to the curacy, except those of the townland of Ballyheogue, which are merged in the rent. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Bree; the chapel, situated at Galbally, is a handsome building with a residence for the priest, erected at an expense of £2000 by J. EL Talbot, Esq., of Talbot Hall, who also endowed it with 15 acres of land for the use of the priest. Attached to the .chapel is a school, partly supported by subscription; and there are three pay schools, in which are about 76 children. The late Rt. Hon. G. Ogle, who resided at Bellevue, was a great promoter of the improved system of agriculture in this country, and author of the popular ballad of "Molly Asthore," and several other admired prodiictions.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballyhoge to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S9463629402 (Lat/Lon: 52.408389, -6.610082), Ballyhoge which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
694636,629402and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)