BALLYLENNAN, a parish, in the barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Taghmon; containing 733 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the high road from Wexford to Duncannon Fort, and is separated on the east from the barony of Bargy, and on the southeast from the barony of Shelburne, by a navigable stream called indifferently the Bannow or Scar river.
It comprises 2460 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 60 acres are woodland, and the remainder chiefly under tillage. The soil is generally light, with the exception of some very rich land near the Scar river, the mud of which supplies abundance of manure; the system of agriculture is good, and still improving; and the dwellings of the peasantry, which are cleanly and cheerful, afford striking indications of industry and comfort. At the mouth of the Scar river, in Bannow bay, is a small quay for landing limestone and manure, which are brought from the peninsula of Hook, on the other side of the bay of Fethard, in boats of about 15 tons burden. Rosegarland, the elegant seat of F. Leigh, jun., Esq., though to all appearance a modern mansion, is incorporated with some of the walls, and occupies part of the site of an Anglo-Norman fortress, originally quadrangular and flanked at the opposite angles with massive square and round embattled towers, of which latter, one has been raised by the present proprietor to the height of 60 feet, commanding a luxuriant and extensive prospect over the numerous rich demesnes with which this part of the country is ornamented. The gardens and pleasure grounds are tastefully laid out; in the former, which comprise seven acres, are four Portugal laurels of extraordinary growth, planted in the form of a square at the distance of 1¾ yard asunder, and extending their foliage over an area of 65 yards in circumference; the latter are adorned with some fine timber, and a branch of the Scar winds through them, adding much to the beauty and fertility of the demesne. This is an impropriate curacy, endowed with the small tithes., in the diocese of Ferns, and forms part of the union of Horetown; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £174. 6. 6½., of which £114. 6. 6½. is payable to the impropriator, and £60 to the rector of Horetown. The remains of the church have been converted into a mausoleum for the family of Leigh. In the R. C. divisions it is within the liberty of Tintern, and with Clongeen is known as the parish of Rosegarland.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballylannan to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S8472216005 (Lat/Lon: 52.289657, -6.759102), Ballylannan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
684722,616005and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)