Hide

CARRIGG

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Carrigg contained the following places:

"CARRIGG, (or Carrig), a parish in the barony of Shelmaliere, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 2 miles to the W. of Wexford, and 3 from Wexford harbour. It is situated in a pleasant country on the S. bank of the river Slaney, which is crossed by a handsome wooden bridge, erected about 1795. On the W. side of the parish are the Forth mountains. Good stone for building purposes is quarried here. In the village stands the Union poorhouse and the Presbyterian manse. The living is an impropriate curacy, forming part of the union of St. Patrick's, Wexford, in the diocese of Ferns. The church has long been decayed, but there is an old churchyard in Belmont Glen. The principal seat is Belmont, in a beautiful spot, commanding fine views of the Slaney and the surrounding country. Other residences are Mount Henry, Alma, Cullentra, and Somerton. Near the river are vestiges of an old castle called Shan-a-Court, some of the material of which was used in building Belmont. Almost on the same spot is a monument in imitation of the ancient round towers, erected in memory of the Wexford men who fell in the Crimean war. Here is also a square tower, part of Barntown Castle, which with the adjacent lands was given by Cromwell to Colonel Le Hunte. In the vicinity are remains of another fortress, called Ferry-Carrig Castle, standing on a rock by the river.

"DANESCASTLE, a post village in the parish of Carrigg, barony of Bargy, in the county of Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 6 miles S.W. of Taghmon. It is so called from the neighbouring ruin, and is supposed to be of early Norman origin. The place affords conveniences for sea-bathing, and is much frequented during the season. There are Roman Catholic chapels and schools, and a dispensary."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018