CHAPPLE, or CHAPEL-OF-ST-CLEMENT, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Enniscorthy; containing 827 inhabitants. It is situated on the little river Boro, and on the mail car road from New Ross to Enniscorthy, and contains 3747 statute acres, which are chiefly under tillage. The soil is in general light and poor, and the state of agriculture has undergone but little improvement. At Boro Hill is the seat of Jeremiah Fitzhenry, Esq. The living is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and is part of the union of Killegney; the rectory is appropriate to the bishopriek. There is a glebe of 16 acres, and the tithes amount to £173. 10. 9. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Templeudigan, also called Killegney: the chapel, a neat building, is at Clogbawn or Cloughbawn, in this parish, and was erected soon after 1798, partly by a loan from Government.
Near it is the national school, built in 1816 by Lord Carew, who has endowed it with four acres of land, and allows £15 per annum to the master. No less than 84 young men, who have been educated at this school, have subsequently become schoolmasters.
About 120 boys and 30 girls are taught in the school, and about 70 more children in three private schools.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
Clonroche on wikipedia
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chapel to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S8788633260 (Lat/Lon: 52.444182, -6.708232), Chapel which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
687886,633260and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)