CLONLEIGH, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. E.) from New Ross; containing 661 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the high road from Ross to Newtownbarry, and contains 2679 statute acres, pi-incipally under tillage. The rectory is part of the union of St. Mary's New Ross, in the diocese of Ferns; for the clerical duties it forms part of the perpetual cure of Templeudigan. The tithes amount to £101. 15. 8¼ In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union, or district of Templeudigan, where the chapel is situated.
There is a hedge school of about 10 children: and a school is about to be built by subscription, near the chapel of Poulpeasty, on two acres of land granted by C. R. Frizell, Esq., of Stapolin.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clonleigh to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S8046434206 (Lat/Lon: 52.453823, -6.817134), Clonleigh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
680464,634206and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)