DONOWNEY, or DOWNONEY, a parish, in the barony of BANTRY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Taghmon; containing 208 inhabitants. This small parish is situated on the road from Enniscorthy to Duncannon Fort, and contains 1074 statute acres. It is in the diocese of Ferns; the rectory is appropriate to the see, and the vicarage forms part of the union of Horetown: the tithes amount to £38. 15. 4½., of which two-thirds are payable to the bishop and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R. C. divisions it is partly in the union or district of Taghmon, but chiefly in that of Newbawn or Adams - town. There are some remains of a cromlech.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Doonooney to another place.
The entry for Doonooney from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference S8981328385 (Lat/Lon: 52.400068, -6.681215), Doonooney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
689813,628385and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)