ISHARTMON, a parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Broadway, near the road to New Ross; containing 229 inhabitants. This small parish, comprising only 930 statute acres, is pleasantly situated on the lake of Tacumshane, which during severe winters is frequented by a variety of wild fowl, though not so much so as formerly. The state of agriculture is in some parts much improved; the cultivation of green crops has been introduced. Marl and building stone are found, of which the former is used for manure; and at Lyngstown are several deep holes, supposed to have been the shafts of an old copper mine. The seats are Butlerstown Castle, the residence of J. Boxwell, Esq.; and Lyngstown Castle, of Harvey Boxwell, Esq.
It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, forming part of the union of Killinick; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £60. 18. 5½., of which £24 is payable to the impropriator, and the remainder to the curate. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Maglass or Ballymore. The ruins of the church still exist; and of the ancient castle of Butlerstown, a large square tower, 75 feet high, remains in a good state of preservation adjoining the modern mansion of the same name.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ishartmon to another place.
The entry for Ishartmon from Griffiths Valuation 1847/64
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0501007992 (Lat/Lon: 52.214172, -6.464382), Ishartmon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
705010,607992and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)