Hide

KILBRIDE

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Kilbride contained the following places:

"KILBRIDE, a parish in the barony of Scarawalsh, county Wexford, province of Leinster, Ireland, 5 miles S.W. of Ballycanen, and 4 from Ferns, its post town. The parish is 3 miles long by 2 broad. The surface consists of a good soil. It is traversed by the road from Gorey to Oulart. The living is a rectory united to the benefice of Ferns, in the dioc, of Ferns. This parish forms part of the Roman Catholic district of Ferns, and has a chapel at Clorogue. There are a Quaker meeting-house and a private day school. Rockspring and Ballymore are the chief residences. Near the latter mansion are the ruins of an ancient church, standing on an elevated spot, and adjoining it is the "Giant's Bed." Jasper has been found, and excellent building stone is worked. Large quantities of butter are sent to the neighbouring markets."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018