KILCORMUCK, a parish, partly in the barony of GOREY, but chiefly in that of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (N. N.W.) from Oulart, on the roads from Enniscorthy and Ferns to the sea; containing 2500 inhabitants. The Wexford insurrection of 1798 first broke out in this parish, under the direction of the Rev. John Murphy, priest of Boulavogue, who, on the burning of the chapel at that place, collected his forces from the surrounding district, and advanced to Oulart Hill, where he encamped. The parish comprises 9660 statute acres, (exclusive of 52 acres of roads,) chiefly under tillage: the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved under the auspices of the North Wexford Agricultural Association. Marl, which is found in the parish, and lime brought from a considerable distance, are used for manure. Oulart Hill, at the southern extremity of the parish, is cultivated nearly to the summit, but the absorbent nature of the soil scarcely repays the expense of tillage. There are two small bogs, containing about 20 acres; good building stone is found; and slate has been lately discovered. Extensive plantations have been made at Mount George by Mr. Lee, and at Garryduff by Mr. Goodison. At Dranagh are several neat cottages with gardens attached, and the peasantry of this district generally exhibit in their persons and dwellings an appearance of neatness and comfort.
Spinning and weaving are carried on by them at their own dwellings. Fairs are held at Harrow on March 21st, June 24th, Sept. 30th, and Dec. 1st. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £526.3.1. The church, a neat structure, was rebuilt in 1766, by aid of a gift of £200, and was enlarged and modernised in 1831, by a loan of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits.
The glebe-house was built at an expense of £1800, of which the Board gave £100, in 1815. Near the church is a glebe of 22½ acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is partly in the district of Monageer, and partly in that of Oulart: the chapel is at Boulavogue. About 40 children are educated in a school chiefly maintained by the rector,under whose superintendence a Sunday school is held in the church. A school is also held in the R. C.
chapel, in which, and in two private schools, about 130 children are educated.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilcormick to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference T0694043821 (Lat/Lon: 52.535653, -6.424733), Kilcormick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
706940,643821and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)